[linux-elitists] Annals now an arXiv journal (fwd)

Jay Sulzberger jays@panix.com
Fri May 11 22:18:47 PDT 2001

The Annals is a Big Journal.

The mathematicians who signed this are good.  They are also Officially
Good and Officially Big.

oo--JS.

>From: greg@math.ucdavis.edu (Greg Kuperberg)
>Newsgroups: sci.math.research
>Subject: The Annals of Mathematics is now an arXiv overlay journal
>Date: 8 May 2001 20:30:02 -0500

We are pleased to announce that the Annals of Mathematics is now on-line
and an arXiv overlay journal.  We would like to thank the Annals editorial
board, and especially Robert MacPherson, for helping make this possible.
That the Annals is an overlay means that all articles in the Annals from
November 1998 onward have been contributed or will be contributed to
the mathematics arXiv. In addition the Annals web site has hyperlinks
to the arXiv copies:

    http://www.math.princeton.edu/~annals/

The arXiv is a free archive of research articles, currently with 150,000
articles in physics and 15,000 in mathematics.  You can browse the
mathematics section of the arXiv either directly or at the Front for
the Mathematics arXiv:

    http://arxiv.org/
    http://front.math.ucdavis.edu/

You can also now search or browse Annals articles within the arXiv,
for example by following these links:

    http://front.math.ucdavis.edu/search/jr:ann-of-math
    http://arXiv.org/find/math/1/jr:+AND+AND+ann+math+no/0/1/0/all/0/1

As a consequence of the overlay arrangement, the Annals shares the
commitment of the arXiv itself to remain permanently and freely available
on the Internet.  With the addition of the Annals there are now four
arXiv overlay journals, the other three being Advances in Theoretical and
Mathematical Physics and the sibling journals Geometry and Topology and
Algebraic and Geometric Topology. This prestigious collection of journals
illustrates a new phase of the mathematics arXiv.  The mathematics arXiv
is now not only a "preprint server", but also a permanent digital library
that can support peer review as a second layer.

We believe that scholarly communication in mathematics is at a
crossroads. With the advent of the Internet, mathematicians can
disseminate their work through proprietary subscription journals which
are published electronically.  Or mathematicians can distribute it through
an ad hoc array of home pages and web sites.  We believe that neither of
these systems is adequate and that mathematicians should, in addition,
contribute their papers to a free, universal archive extended by peer
review.  Two precendents speak in favor of this approach.  One is the
wide success of the arXiv in many areas of physics, as reported in the
Science Section of the May 1 New York Times:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/01/science/01ARCH.html

The other is CTAN, the free universal archive of TeX software and
TeX macros.  All TeX users, even subscription journals, rely on CTAN
directly or indirectly.

Today's news about the Annals is only one step on a long road, but
we hope that it can lead to discussions about the future.  So please
circulate this announcement among your colleagues, and feel free to add
your own comments.

-- Robert Bryant, Bill Casselman, Rob Kirby, Greg Kuperberg, Elliott
Lieb, Peter Michor, David Morrison, Andrew Odlyzko, Richard Palais,
Jim Stasheff, and Bill Thurston, on behalf of the math arXiv advisory
committee
--
  /\  Greg Kuperberg (UC Davis)
 /  \