[linux-elitists] Rick Moen uses gifs on the sly (but don't feel to proud)

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Fri May 11 14:01:37 PDT 2001

begin  Mr. Bad quotation of Thu, May 10, 2001 at 04:14:15PM -0700:

> Well, wouldn't it make sense to have the vrms package -- the
> information freedom watchdog of Debian -- keep an eye on packages
> containing or handling patented data types (like GIF and MP3)?

#!/bin/bash

# vms: virtual Mark Starr

GIF_DEBS=`dpkg -S *.gif 2> /dev/null | awk -F ':' '{print $1}' | sort -u`

if test -n "$GIF_DEBS"; then

cat <<END
Hello, this is the Virtual Mark Starr.  Please be prepared to show
that the GIF files in the following packages were created with
Unisys-licensed software.
END

for deb in $GIF_DEBS; do
    echo $deb
done

cat <<END
If this had been the real Mark Starr, and you had any money, well, see
you in court, Debian weenie. Just as soon as we finish suing Microsoft
for violating our patent on calling Free Software un-American.

END

else
    echo "There are no Debian packages with GIFs on this system."
fi