[linux-elitists] Rick Moen uses gifs on the sly (but don't feel to proud)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri May 11 13:02:14 PDT 2001

on Thu, May 10, 2001 at 04:35:55PM -0700, Heather (star@betelgeuse.starshine.org) wrote:
> > > For my own part I'd have to say that NS' sucky handling of PNG's
> > > transparency capability is the main culprit so far.  Most webdroids
> > > wouldn't give a rats ass what file format it is, but they want either
> > > or both of GIF's two main features:
> > > 	1) animation
> > > 	2) transparency
> >
> > Non seq.
>
> Wrong.  Very seq.  You cannot really get rid of GIFs without getting rid
> of the social reasons why they succeeded in the first place.

It's non-seq because the immediate issue isn't getting rid of GIFs, it's
ensuring the purity of free status of Debian packages.  In the larger
picture your other comments and arguments are well considered.  In the
immidiate context, they're non-seq.

I acknowledge that free image formats which provide the functionality
idiots want from GIFs, will help obsolete GIFs.  However, that's not my
current concern.

<...>

<Regarding KeenSpot>

> Btw, are we looking at the same website here?  I went to www.keenspot.com,
> "The Best Damn Comics on the Web" -- and not only are there GIFs all
> over the place, there's no png's at all on the home page, no mention of
> the file format, and, ahem, very few ALT tags.

Try Ubersoft.  A few other artists are looking at GIFs.  My main hits
are Ubersoft, GPF, and Clan of the Cats (hey, there's nothing like
raven-haired goddesses who turn into jaguars when enraged to turn me
on....).

KeenSpot's been hit by the banner revenue meltdown and is looking to
reduce its bandwidth reqs.  Some artists have found that PNGs reduce
image size by ~30%.