[linux-elitists] Rick Moen uses gifs on the sly (but don't feel to proud)

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Thu May 10 16:53:13 PDT 2001

>     H> As a general case, I think it would be a Bad Thing(tm) if the
>     H> Debian project managed to get sucked into UNISYS audit
>     H> annoyances.
>
> Heather,
>
> Well, wouldn't it make sense to have the vrms package -- the
> information freedom watchdog of Debian -- keep an eye on packages
> containing or handling patented data types (like GIF and MP3)?
>
> A little nagging warning provides a (slight) impetus for Debian admins
> to remove GIF-using packages in favor of GIF-less ones, and MP3
> packages for Ogg or similar ones. Since most package maintainers are
> also package users, they'd probably feel the same niggling conscience
> attacks... and so on.
>
> This is fairly benign, it's honest, and not too intrusive.
>
> ~Mr. Bad

Updating vrms to current social mores is a reasonable bug to post, yes.

I don't think lintian Depends:vrms does it?  :D

* Heather * It is the business of the future to be dangerous.  -- Hawkwind