[linux-elitists] Rick Moen uses gifs on the sly (but don't feel to proud)

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Thu May 10 11:21:44 PDT 2001

begin  Heather quotation of Thu, May 10, 2001 at 10:48:33AM -0700:

> UNISYS only needs to be paid once, so if the original images were cooked
> by a LIcensed User of UNISYS bla blah (bleeeccch)

Yes, but giving the users the ability to modify the system is the Debian
Way. If you require certain pieces to be distributed unmodified, than
that's bad. I don't know if it's legal, illegal, compliant with the DFSG
or not -- any "thou shalt not modify" content should, IMHO, be with a
good reason.

If the maintainers of the Apache package believe that compatibility with
very old browsers is more important than the ability to modify an image
on a Debian system, that's a valid choice (not the one I would make
though.) I think the choice will be different for images in Debian docs
and other places on the system.

> Call this one the Cats Have No Lord approach.

This doesn't work at all if sue-worthy companies use free software.