[linux-elitists] Rick Moen uses gifs on the sly (but don't feel to proud)

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Thu May 10 11:08:59 PDT 2001

> > So important severity bugs using terminoligy that will be incorrectly
> > interpreted by Debian developers (like "foo is not free"), based on a
> > higly dubious reading of a patent that does not necessarily apply to the
> > person who will receive the bug is probably not the way to make any more
> > headway on this issue. Mass filing of such bugs is liable to attract more
> > than a few flames.
>
> And I think you'll have better luck if you just give some of the details
> you posted to the mailing list. It's reasonable to run a proxy that
> blocks GIFs, as a statement, and apache not working right in that setup
> is certianly some variety of bug.

Hmm...  quick chart

You --- GIF.Burning.Proxy -- The Internet :) -- www.FOO.com

You/Your admin's GIF burning proxy causing www.FOO.com's fancy indices to be,
ahem, unsuitable for Hoi Polloi web dining, is not Debian's bug -- it's the
FOO webmaster's bug.  He/She/They may file our bug reports in the roundfile
(most reply by formletter first, then do that) but that's life, tell them
anyway.

However, a Wishlist item to offer a matching set of little jpg's or png's as
a potential alternate icon set, or to replace the default, seems reasonable.
An alternate set would allow gif-burning sites a fast switch (at the cost of
"bloat" in the package - with two sets, one set is always junk for someone).
Replacing the default adds complexity to the upgrade kit (a new configfile
must be cooked, probably not hard - and folks who "keep the present copy"
need to be warned about the icons changing).  The final result would be that
sites keeping their Debian kit current would have burned a few more GIFs.

(in my personal opinion, any website which has any areas open to fancy index
behavior, should be customizing their icons anyway, but that's beyond Debian's
scope.)

* Heather * star@ many places...
  You can do this in a number of ways.  IBM chose to do all of them.
  Why do you find that funny?  -- D. Taylor, Computer Science 350