[linux-elitists] Perens paper on Free Software

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Wed May 9 16:02:55 PDT 2001

> Just finished skimny over Bruce Perens' paper titled "Software Patents
> vs. Free Software" (http://perens.com/Articles/Patents.html ), and was
> reminded of some of my basic old 8th grade Constitution class
> teachings. The part where he quotes the Constitution:
> "Congress Shall Have Power To [...] promote the Progress of Science and
> useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the
> exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries"
>
> Has anybody ever chalenged the constitutionality of the extending of
> the time copyrighted works expire? (hopefullyt that sentence made sense)
>
> Steve

Has anyone ever questioned the Constitutionality of forcing
	Authors and Inventors
declare their works as belonging to some corporate entity instead
of themselves, thus erasing their
	exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries
?

"for limited times" has become a stretch.  pun intended.  Sadly it's
longer but still "limited" so I think the sharks get to eat your sandwich.
Have a nice day.

* Heather * Might as well be frank, monsieur.  It would take a miracle to
            get you out of Casablanca and the Germans have outlawed miracles.
		-- Casablanca