[linux-elitists] Re: Repulsive Windows Web Icons

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Wed May 9 15:35:08 PDT 2001

> On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 10:07:17AM -0700, Dan Wilder wrote:
> >
> > So that's all one of those little #$@! is?  A 16x16 BMP?  Anybody
> > have one around they're willing to try reading into a BMP-editor?
>
> IIRC (having had to deal with this silliness before), the original .ico
> format (pre-Windows 95) was not BMP - but from 95 onwards it would read
> any (FSVO) natively supported image type, at any size, and scale it to
> 16x16. Setting the icon for image/* types to '%1' to get thumbnails was
> one of the few useful interface hacks. It was later innovated, of course...
>
> ln -s favicon.png favicon.ico ...

The .ico format is not a BMP, but it *is* a cheap bitmap.

Or at least the 766/768 byte old style edition, 16 colors and a transparent
mask, were, back when I reverse engineered the cheap little thing.  That was
before MS pubbed about it (c.f. hey Tridge, did you know you can read the
spec?) but before any decent array of icon-browsing shareware came out.  I
later hacked it further to spew out xpm's ... which were shipped out with
Desqview/X ... so I may indirectly be responsible for a number of those
windows-oid XPMs commonly used by fvwm95 fans.

In case anyone's curious I had a batch of about 3000 downloaded ICOs to wade
through and was quite aware how popular the darn "atomic" logo was, so I needed
a fast way to see them.  34 line mode seemed just the thing since icons didn't
have more colors than text mode...

If I find the pascal source I originally wrote, you can have it, but someone's
got newer code than me anyway.  Too bad he doesn't have something to turn
XPMs back into ICOs, or it could be merged into the Gimp.

ICOs can also be in DLLs.  Norton used a DLL containing only ICO resources
as their ".NIL" format.

I don't know if they've pubbed the 256color icon spec though - cuz I don't
really care about ICOs these days for some reason...

* Heather *
Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.
                -- J.R.R. Tolkien