[linux-elitists] Microsoft prizes for rat finks

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Tue May 8 11:26:17 PDT 2001

begin  Aaron Lehmann quotation of Tue, May 08, 2001 at 01:39:19AM -0700:

> Furthermore, as far as I can tell /favicon.ico is a
> Microsoft-perpetuated mess that certain Microsoft browsers request
> from every single server (I vaguely recall discussion of it on this
> very list).

AFAIK it only requests when the user bookmarks a page; the "icon" then
appears on the browser's bookmarks menu.  For a while my favicon.ico
was a redirect to http://penthouse.com/  -- I have no idea if browsers
follow redirects in this situation but I don't see why not.

How many colors can you use in one of these?  And does the format support
comments?  favicon.ico would be a nice place to stash controversial
code.