[linux-elitists] Konqueror (was: Microsoft prizes for rat finks)

Aaron Lehmann aaronl@vitelus.com
Tue May 8 11:02:53 PDT 2001

On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 10:56:55AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Forgot to subtract out shared memory -- and I'm just now having morning
> coffee.  Yeah, that makes the RAM picture a bit more reasonable.  Looks
> like around 16-17MB, with one window open.

I can confirm it here. It never seemed to grow very much larger (but I
turned off cache as I have a local proxy).

Unix memory is tricky, especially when you have threads or forks. If I
really cared I would just check the difference between free(1)'s
"used, +/- buffers/cache" field before and after loading konqueror on
a freshly booted system, or a system running a 2.2 kernel (2.4 seems
to have some new caches that aren't properly subtracted by free(1)).