[linux-elitists] Microsoft prizes for rat finks

Aaron Lehmann aaronl@vitelus.com
Tue May 8 01:39:19 PDT 2001

64.81.36.147 - - [08/May/2001:01:20:58 -0700] "GET /favicon.ico HTTP/1.0" 404 551 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/2.1.2; X11)" 0 vitelus.com

Now _there's_ a serrious reason why any elitist should hate Konqueror.
I do not want millions of wasteful 404 hits for no reason, nor do I
want to inflict the same upon poor webmasters. I was thinking
"Konqueror: the qmail of the web."

Furthermore, as far as I can tell /favicon.ico is a
Microsoft-perpetuated mess that certain Microsoft browsers request
from every single server (I vaguely recall discussion of it on this
very list). And as far as I know, Konqueror is the only free browser
that buys into this Microsoft "standard". AFAICT there was no way to
turn it off.

I asked on #kde, and for awhile the best responses I got were "MSIE
does it, deal with it", "Ignore the log entries", and "Just install
some favicon.ico file on your server". Not very in touch with the
issue, indeed.

After awhile someone offered some insight:

<malte|away> aaronl: well, there is a way, the GUI option to turn it
off has been removed as people agreed that's too overconfigurable

But I also did finally learn how to turn it off.

<malte|away> aaronl: ~/.kde/share/config/konquerorrc, section [HTML
Settings], put in a line "EnableFavicon=false" (no quotes)

Hmmm. I like a lot of what I've seen in konqueror so far, but am very
scared of using a browser that refuses to start up to a blank page and
is so consumer-targetted that important settings are masked (and stuck
by default at the wrong values!).