[linux-elitists] Perens paper on Free Software

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sat May 5 21:29:18 PDT 2001

on Sat, May 05, 2001 at 04:37:30PM -0700, Steve M Bibayoff (smb23@csufresno.edu) wrote:
> Just finished skimny over Bruce Perens' paper titled "Software Patents
> vs. Free Software" (http://perens.com/Articles/Patents.html ), and was
> reminded of some of my basic old 8th grade Constitution class
> teachings. The part where he quotes the Constitution:
> "Congress Shall Have Power To [...] promote the Progress of Science and
> useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the
> exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries"
>
> Has anybody ever challenged the constitutionality of the extending of
> the time copyrighted works expire? (hopefullyt that sentence made sense)

Eldred v. Reno

    http://www.edritchpress.com/
    http://eon.law.harvard.edu/openlaw/eldredvreno/

Most recently, appeal was denied Feb 16, 2001, a petition for rehearing
en banc was filed April 2, 2001.