Aharonian is an ass, AOL == retards, and crond must die (was Re: [linux-elitists] [ruben@mrbrklyn.com: Microsoft proposing Free Software ban])

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Sat May 5 08:50:32 PDT 2001

On Sat, May 05, 2001 at 12:45:30AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> If you're referring to the welcoming Big Blue peace-love-Linux embrace,
> beware of really nasty proprietary-inventions agreements, with nasty,
> sharp teeth.  (Your mileage may differ, and I do hope it does.)

Yes, that's what I'm referring to.

And I've seen the agreements already, and they are not bad at all (I
made sure to bring up my reluctance to sign draconian IP agreements).
In fact I've had to sign a much worse agreement for the present company
I work for.

There is also an art to filling out those forms.  In the section where
they say to list works that do not fall under the category of the
agreement, list everything you have ever done, and ever want to do in
the future that you want to keep open source.  Then list a few more
vague things with just a name (like "The Linux FastLoader project") that
way in the future if you think of new things that you want to do, just
call them by that name (if the name doesn't really apply just say
"formally known as the FastLoader project" somewhere on the project
page)

greg k-h