Aharonian is an ass, AOL == retards, and crond must die (was Re: [linux-elitists] [ruben@mrbrklyn.com: Microsoft proposing Free Software ban])

Greg KH greg@kroah.com
Fri May 4 20:14:19 PDT 2001

On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 08:44:25PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> I think Greg's fearmongering on IBM is probably misplaced, but worth
> consideration.  Keep all options in mind.
>
> I think his assessment that this is more an MSFT v. IBM battle than an
> MSFT v. Free Software battle is well taken.  The problem, for Microsoft,
> is that there is no "free software" to attack directly.  There are free
> software developers, free software users, and free software vendors.
> IBM is the largest single instance of all three classes.  IBM's own
> intellectual property background pretty much shoots MSFT's arguments to
> shit though:  IBM has more patents than anyone, bar none.  Their
> software copyright library is probably up there in size.  IBM's also
> seen how the proprietary and open games play out.  IBM's lost every time
> they bet on closed.  They've had a fighting chance playing open.

I like Greg's commentary usually, but I think he's a bit off here.  IBM
wants to sell hardware and services.  Opensource helps them do this
cheaper.  Like it or not they are sinking a lot of money into Linux and
are hiring up a lot of kernel people (I think the entire Australia
LinuxCare office is now working for them) so they are a force to be
reckoned with.

Yes, they also like the scorched earth policy, if the OS cost is free
that will drive Microsoft's earnings down.

The patent issue is an interesting one, I'll have to see how that plays
out...

greg k-h
(about to be assimilated myself)