Aharonian is an ass, AOL == retards, and crond must die (was Re: [linux-elitists] [ruben@mrbrklyn.com: Microsoft proposing Free Software ban])

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Fri May 4 15:07:19 PDT 2001

Don Marti writes:

> ObElitist:
>
> Here's a serious question, which Mr. Bad asked quite a while ago, but
> I haven't seen a reasonable answer to. Why do GNU/Linux distributions
> have both crond and atd running? Why not just run atrun from cron?

Different versions of cron, I think: Dillon's cron versons Vixie's
cron.  So you could ask Dillon and Vixie.

atrun has a disadvantage of involving disk access and a fork pretty
regularly, and also not letting you schedule "up to the minute" if you
follow the tradition of letting it run every five minutes.  So I think
the atd probably consumes fewer resources (at least if it gets swapped
out) and gives more flexibility.