[linux-elitists] Must have free space lasers!

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri May 4 13:44:24 PDT 2001

on Fri, May 04, 2001 at 11:56:40PM +0200, Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de (Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de) wrote:
> "Mr.Bad" wrote:

> > you create a short-wave laser? How big would it be? How would you
>
> About the shortest shortwave laser is x-Ray. It's about tabletop
> sized. But the pumping laser is a bit bigger. Like, a lot bigger.

I believe "short wave" was meant in the traditional, radio-spectrum
sense.  Usually between roughly 1 and 10 MHz, as opposed to 10^16 to
10^19 Hz for Xrays.

I don't believe lasers are compatible with the concept of nondirectional
broadcast technologies.  Though I'm very far out of my depth.