[linux-elitists] [ruben@mrbrklyn.com: Microsoft proposing Free Software ban]

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri May 4 13:31:31 PDT 2001

on Thu, May 03, 2001 at 10:07:13AM -0400, Brooklyn Linux Solutions CEO (ruben@mrbrklyn.com) wrote:

> On 2001.05.03 10:00:12 -0400 Brooklyn Linux Solutions CEO wrote:
> http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5806829.html?tag=lh
>
> 	Microsoft to argue against free code
> 	By Reuters
> 	May 3, 2001, 5:45 a.m. PT

A few interesting responses.
Greg Aharonian/PATNEWS:  This isn't MS v. Free Software, it's MS v. IBM:

    --  IBM AND MICROSOFT FIGHTING EACH OTHER, USING LINUX AS A WEAPON

    Thursday's New York Times reports that a Microsoft official, Craig
    Mundie, will be giving a speech arguing that one aspect of the open
    source model, known as the General Public License (GPL), is a
    potential trap that undercuts the commercial software business and
    mirrors some of the worst practices of dot-com businesses, in which
    goods were given away in an effort to attract visitors to Web sites.
    GPL requires that any software using source code already covered by
    the licensing agreement must become available for free distribution.
    Quoting Mr.  Mundie, "This viral aspect of the GPL poses a threat to
    the intellectual property of any organization making use of it.",
    and "The goal of GPL is sweeping up all of the intellectual property
    that has been contributed.  That creates many problems downstream,
    many of which haven't come home to roost yet."

    What's worrying Microsoft to attack the publicly popular Open Source
    and GPL movements?   IBM.  IBM.  IBM.   IBM is putting billions into
    Open Source, which could be a very powerful attack on Microsoft's
    operating system dominance.  More than most, Microsoft is well aware
    of IBM embracing software technologies that work against IBM in
    order to suffocate them (Ada and IBM's defense activities at the
    time; Software Patent Institute and IBM's software patenting
    activities).  They probably figure that IBM will embrace GNU/Linux
    long enough to hurt Microsoft substantially, and then come out with
    proprietary enhancements (supported by workarounds of the various
    Open Source licenses) that can crush the Open Source customers to
    any degree IBM feels like.

    This could explain Microsoft's actions.  What I don't understand is
    why the GNU/Linux and Open Source community aren't more wary of
    IBM's presence in their industry.  IBM has always done what is in
    its best interests - it could care less about GNU/Linux and Open
    Source.  Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they are filing patents
    now for their proprietary enhancements to GNU/Linux and Open Source
    that they could release in the future (knowing quite well that GPL
    and other such licenses probably can be rendered impotent in front
    of the courts, because in the end GPL has its prior art problems).

    But Microsoft probably won't so speculate, IBM won't so confess, and
    the GNU/Linux too clueless.

What scorched-earth gets you:  Register:  AOL's XP strategy

    AOL is considering what amounts to all out war on Microsoft and
    Legacy MS Windows XP, according to a document obtained by Betanews,
    which has been getting its hands on some corkers of late. If genuine
    the document is an AOL internal strategy memo[1] listing "response
    scenarios" to XP.  Practically all of them are seriously hardball,
    and at Contact th their most extreme they'd add up to recruiting an
    OEM coalition to topple Microsoft from the desktop while Download
    your Reg s destabilising the XP rollout.

    1.  http://www.betanews.com/aol.html

Cheers.