[linux-elitists] Must have free space lasers!

Ben Woodard ben@valinux.com
Fri May 4 10:04:07 PDT 2001

> begin  Ben Woodard quotation of Fri, May 04, 2001 at 07:40:13AM -0700:
>
> > It is easier than you think. Ham radio people do what is called EME
> > (Earth Moon Earth) radio contacts all the time.
>
> I read that the Navy was bouncing signals off the Moon to hide the
> locations of ships. What frequencies can you do this with, and is it
> hard to find you when you do it?

You can't really do it with anything less than 2m (>144Mhz) because
the atmosphere absorbs or reflects it. However, you don't want to get
too high of frequency otherwise it is absorbed and scattered by the
moisture and other things in the atmosphere.

As for the untracableness, it depends on how careful you are. If you
are careful using high gain directional antennas (e.g. a dish) then it
should have no problem concieling your location. Especially if you are
using low wattages.

> If you could do it with a frequency for which lots of people have
> receivers, you could do a periodic untraceable broadcast of suppressed
> information.

good idea.