[linux-elitists] Must have free space lasers!

Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Fri May 4 02:06:38 PDT 2001

"Mr.Bad" wrote:

>     SDS> You know, I read in a book how there's a retroreflector on
>     SDS> the Moon.
>
> Maybe if the retroreflector was a mile long.

They're high-precision cat-eye reflectors for laser inteferometry
rangefinders.  To figure out if and when the Moon is falling down
on top of our pointy heads.

Right now we can outshine our star by a factor of three orders
of magnitude, albeit briefly, and in a limited frequency range.
So you don't need very large reflectors.