[linux-elitists] [ruben@mrbrklyn.com: Microsoft proposing FreeSoftware ban]

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Thu May 3 20:25:58 PDT 2001

Brooklyn Linux Solutions CEO writes:

> Greeting (which usually means I strongly disagree with you and don't know
> you well enough to be more blunt)
>
> That's not a position which bares itself out in reality.  Source code would
> simply never be released and released souce code would be extended and
> embraced until useless.

Some people not releasing source code isn't a particularly serious
problem if reverse engineering is available.

Software patents and threats to reverse engineering are the
particularly egregious threats to free software.  Organizations that
don't release source code to particular programs aren't.  Free
software can do just fine without copyright -- can positive thrive --
as long as these other threats can be overcome.

> In addition, copyright can be practically enforced and shouldn't go away.
>
> What copyright can not be is an excuse for gross violations of civil
> rights.
>
> These are all different issues.

Sure.