[linux-elitists] Must have free space lasers!

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Thu May 3 15:57:51 PDT 2001

Mr . Bad writes:

>     >>  Anyone tried free space lasers yet? And does the
>     >> lightpointe.com web
>
>     EL> You mean line of sight (LoS) lasers? I've seen a 119 kBps DIY
>     EL> laser modem from some folks in Oz, but anything else looks
>     EL> really expensive, like.
>
> Damn, I thought this was about, like, satellite-mounted laser weapons
> I could use for free (kinda like the zPenguin thingy, but way more
> destructive).
>
> I'm trying to think of how you'd do laser communication that -wasn't-
> line-of-sight. I mean, unless you don't count mirrors as
> line-of-sight. Can you do atmospheric bounce with lasers? Masers?

You know, I read in a book how there's a retroreflector on the Moon.
So you can use the Moon to talk to yourself, if you can find the
retroreflector...

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/pub/expmoon/Apollo11/A11_Experiments_LRRR.html