[linux-elitists] [ruben@mrbrklyn.com: Microsoft proposing FreeSoftware ban]

Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Thu May 3 16:36:21 PDT 2001

Brooklyn Linux Solutions CEO wrote:

> I doesn't serve anyone to explicitely break copyright.  The GPL depends on
> strong copyright.

Of course it does serve people: they can pick up the code, and use it
as a point of departure for their projects. The company doesn't get
hurt, as no one but me groks architecture anyway, and without the
proprietary database what is normally a 7 k$ product is absolutely
useless. warez d00dism this is not.

Looks clearly win-win to me.

Of course I can break the copyright, this is nothing like attempting
superluminal signalling. See, that was easy. The question is whether
this is a zero-sum game scenario, or not. Luckily, it's not. Everybody
wins.

Frankly, unless I'm missing something basic, I don't understand your
objection. Anonymous publishing is here to stay, and if anything it
shoves IP control freaks the boot up the nether orifice. Since the
legal department's radar shows no blips, they can't fire.