[linux-elitists] speaking of hunting/defeating spammers...

Paul J Collins sneakums@zork.net
Thu May 3 03:18:19 PDT 2001

    SDS> Rick Moen writes:
    >> <AOL></AOL>

    SDS> You know, I saw in an XML book how that should be written
    SDS> <AOL/>.

    SDS> Well, maybe if it's a standalone tag, it should.

If the tag is specified in the DTD as being allowed to be empty, you
can use the <tag/> notation.  It's not required, however.  The feature
was added because it is impossible to differentiate a start tag from
an empty element in SGML without reference to the DTD, and it was a
requirement for XML that documents be unambiguously parseable witout
reference to a DTD.  Having lived with the feature for a few months,
the XML working group realised that there is no semantic difference
well-liked, they left it in.

Information shamelessly stolen from Tim Bray's Annotated XML
Specification[0], which I found from a link Mr Bad posted to
Crackmonkey some time ago.

[0] http://www.xml.com/pub/a/axml/axmlintro.html

--
 /////////////////  |                  | The spark of a pin
<sneakums@zork.net> |   left blank.    | dropping, falling feather-like.