[linux-elitists] speaking of hunting/defeating spammers...

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Wed May 2 16:25:20 PDT 2001

begin  Mr. Bad quotation of Wed, May 02, 2001 at 04:01:24PM -0700:

> Frankly, I'm a little tired of spam-baiting. I've been desperately
> tempted to buy one of those spam CDs and send some UNE* just for
> fun. $1000 (on the high side) for the chance to send my own Pigdoggety
> message to the ENTIRE WORLD? Who DOESN'T want to do that?

Damn, if someone with an actual _clue_ decided to spam, you probably could
hit a substantial percentage of addresses on the net.  Enough to make
the news anyhow.  Technologies that must not fall into the wrong hands
include:

Wardriving for 802.11b addresses.

Testing using the handy ORBS list to build up a list of the
best-connected but most cluelessly-managed open relays.

"Confidential" address lists from [NAME OF COMPANY YOUR FRIEND CONSULTED
FOR HERE]

Really fast spamware that uses many open relays at once (base it on
qmail?)

Think you could hit a sustained 10,000 addresses/second?