[linux-elitists] speaking of hunting/defeating spammers...

Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Wed May 2 15:11:55 PDT 2001

Don Marti wrote:

> So it's possible that spammers are sending out much (most?) of their
> spam without seriously expecting that they will get you to buy, but with
> the intent of letting you know whether or not you complain you're still
> going to get this so you have no incentive to complain.

You're being very generous to them. The average sp4m3r d0Od just uses
spam equivalents of script kiddie tools, only commercial, of course,
and then bruteforces with malice and forethought, until he's cut off
the nourishing vine by the ISP who has start feeling the heat, and is
forced to move on to greener pastures. I.e., finding more sacrificial
accounts to spam from.

Obviously, on the long run this means the end of free email. A major boost
factor for finegrained digicash: you'll only accept email for a payment,
inflicting costs on the spammer. You then might or might not return the
payment. He would have to obtain the digital monetary units to remain
in operation, so either he'd have to fork over realworld $$$s, assuming
there's an exchange gateway from real money to virtual currency.
Either way round, he would have to pay for his spammer hobby in real
constructive work, whether virtual or real. Right now the only more
or less widespread infrastructure to implement that on is MojoNation.

Either that, or everybody we'll be running realtime DoS clients built into
mailers. Whoever will decide he doesn't want this piece of email would hit
the FLOOD!!! button, pingflooding the spammer's IP. Since a) DoSing the
heck out of the spammer, providing healthy realtime feedback (who'll
then have to resort to spam the antipodes, since sound asleep when
he's committing his heinous crime, or getting really good at cloaking
his identity, which in turn would deprecate use of spoofable infrastructure)
b) inflicting costs upon ISPs, thus meaning impending bancruptcy
of spam friendly ones (my heart is bleeding profusely for them, ach).
Same thing as insurers welcoming new customers: unless they'll see
your interaction history track, you pay premium. So sacrificial
accounts would seem to become rather expensive, in an agoric environment.

Obvious? Yes.