[linux-elitists] speaking of hunting/defeating spammers...

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Wed May 2 12:04:28 PDT 2001

on Wed, May 02, 2001 at 02:58:19PM -0500, Ryan Waldron (rew@erebor.com) wrote:
> On Wed, 2 May 2001, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> > Direct-mail response rates typically run in the 1-3% range, IIRC.  I
> > have a hard time believing that 10% of spam generates a meaningful
> > response.
>
> I agree, and I would guess that just like direct-mail, only the fairly
> well-written (there are gradations of spam quality, like everything
> else, I guess) or well-designed ones get a decent response.  But I
> think that the response RATE doesn't really matter either, as long as
> you're able to send out 1,000,000 or so of these for a fraction of
> what it would cost to do a few thousand direct mails.  You don't have
> to get a very high percentage response on a million email spam
> messages to beat the standard 1-3% range on a few thousand direct mail
> postings.

A _rate_ is a comparison of two numbers -- a ratio.

A _quantity_ is a number without referrent.

I could believe that the _quantity_ of responses for a typical spam
campaign would exceed those of a typical bulk-mail campaign.  But that
rates would be far lower.  For an ROI (again, a rate), spam may be the
preferred method.

> C.f. Cantor and Siegel.  These clowns are STILL making money for their
> aberrant and repulsive behavior, what, 10 years ago now?  People spam
> because either they're (1) making money at it, or (2) think they
> will.  I think there are a lot more in the latter category than in the
> former, but there ARE people in the former.

Are they?  I thought they were run out of town on a rail, disbarred, and
banned from any number of ISPs.

C.f. Sanford "Spamford" Wallace, one-time spam king.  Allegedly trying
to fly straight, but has this little problem with a reputation that's
still dogging him.