[linux-elitists] speaking of hunting/defeating spammers...

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Wed May 2 11:59:56 PDT 2001

begin  Ryan Waldron quotation:

> I don't.  Like I said, I am repeating some information which came from
> a professional direct-mail company who was (at the time) doing some
> direct-email "promotions", and I was in a position to ask them, in a
> non-threatening way (because I was curious) what sort of success they
> encountered.

You perhaps forget n.a.n-a.e's Rule #1:  "Spammers lie."  Of _course_
they claim a high response rate.

> But we're talking about WHY they do it, and like so much else in the
> world, it's a very simple equation of cost vs. reward.

Which brings up back to Rule #2:  "Spammers are stupid."

> C.f. Cantor and Siegel.  These clowns are STILL making money for their
> aberrant and repulsive behavior....

Actually, I've seen no evidence that they are.  They've been disbarred
and thrown out of professional associations, the spam-marketing book
didn't sell, and Jerry Springer doesn't return their 'phone calls.

--
Cheers,               Everything is gone;
Rick Moen             Your life's work has been destroyed.