[linux-elitists] speaking of hunting/defeating spammers...

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Wed May 2 11:27:15 PDT 2001

on Wed, May 02, 2001 at 03:56:37AM -0500, Ryan Waldron (rew@erebor.com) wrote:
> On Wed, 2 May 2001, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 12:34:54AM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
>
> > Why do spammers spam? Are they idiots or blatant sadistic misanthropes?
> >
> > Does _ANYONE_ actually read or reply serriously to spam? I can't
> > imagine anyone making money from spam unless the net population is a
> > few order of magnitudes dumber than I envision.
>
> I used to wonder about this myself.  After all, it's pretty much
> inviting open attack from some very clever, motivated, and net-savvy
> people to get your Internet access turned off.
>
> But after talking with some direct-mail marketing types some years
> ago, when they told me what the response rates were for spam,
> especially (and this makes me sick) all HTML-ed-up email, it was
> staggering.  Response rates an order of magnitude (sometimes, so they
> said) higher than direct-postal-mail, and for a minute fraction of the
> cost.

You got anything to back this up?

Direct-mail response rates typically run in the 1-3% range, IIRC.  I
have a hard time believing that 10% of spam generates a meaningful
response.