[linux-elitists] speaking of hunting/defeating spammers...

Aaron Lehmann aaronl@vitelus.com
Wed May 2 00:57:09 PDT 2001

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 03:56:37AM -0500, Ryan Waldron wrote:
> I used to wonder about this myself.  After all, it's pretty much
> inviting open attack from some very clever, motivated, and net-savvy
> people to get your Internet access turned off.

I guess the solution is education, as usual. If over the next several
years spam goes the way of banner ads as a business model, we'll all
have cleaner mail spools. And we can participate in that transition by
making sure our friends and family know what spam is, why it's bad,
why they should ignore and shun it, and why they shouldn't change
their way of life because others are trying to take advantage of them.

Everyone knows these days that they should never open an email message
titled "I love you" (sigh), but it seems that few know true and important
things - why not to reply to spam.

I wonder how many degrees of separation there are between this list
and someone who replies to spam.