[linux-elitists] speaking of hunting/defeating spammers...

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Wed May 2 00:26:55 PDT 2001

on Tue, May 01, 2001 at 11:07:11PM -0400, Joseph S. Barrera III (joe@barrera.org) wrote:
> ... What existing art is there for rewriting/mangling/munging email
> addresses in public archives of mailing lists so that said email
> addresses cannot be harvested by spammers?
>
> Is there a forum where this topic is constantly discussed, and I'm
> just stupid and don't know about it?

My suggestion:  don't.

I believe this is an echo of Aaron Lehmann's response above.
Essentially, you're telling the spammers "you're so successful that I'm
going to change my behavior in strange, unusual, and inconvenient ways".

Invest in an effective set of spam filtering tools instead.  I have a
very public, six year old, widely distributed, email address.  I
received an average of 3.8 spams a day for the past month (I archive
them all).  Most wind up in my Spam-Filter folder.  A very few end up in
a "greylist" folder for unknown mail sources but not too likely to be
spam.

I use a set of automated tools to report the mail to ISPs, and the IPs
to the ORBS open relay list.  Takes a few seconds per item, but I can
deal with the whole lot of them at once.

Complex systems of address obscuring, switching, rotating, one-time use,
or one-recipient use, are IMO sorely misguided.