[linux-elitists] Microsoft prizes for rat finks

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Tue May 1 07:04:15 PDT 2001

> begin  Aaron T Porter quotation:
> > Not exactly an accurate little tool, is it?
>
> Yes, I wonder why that happens?  I see nothing in the Woody package
> descriptions suggesting packages ssh, mysql-client, or zip still carry
> non-free designations, there.

I suppose we'll have to read the sources on the little yutz, and train
it to either believe the apt system, or learn to read copyright notes :)

> I notice that Woody has moved the pre-merge package listings from
> /var/state/apt/lists to /var/lib/apt/lists/ .  FHS (2.1 and up)
> craziness, it seems:  /var/state has dropped out of favour.  I haven't
> read the rationale for that change, but it seems a pity, since one of
> the ongoing themes of the FHS effort has been to get all the
> miscellaneous cruft _out_ of the lib directories, leaving them for
> object files, libraries, and internal binaries the way the name "lib"
> would suggest.

Well, yes, but /var/lib/  is the traditional place for apps to keep their
session-to-session cruft, whether that's binaries only used by one app, or
some sticky notes for themselves.  /var/state seems to be a cheap excuse for
/var/run considering the things that are in it on this suse box I'm sitting at.

* Heather *
As in certain cults it is possible to kill a process if you know its true name.
		-- Ken Thompson and Dennis M. Ritchie