[linux-elitists] mount options frenzy!

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Fri Mar 30 12:22:59 PST 2001

Joey Hess writes:

> R P Herrold wrote:
> > [herrold@couch herrold]$ /lib/ld-2.2.2.so /tmp/date
> > Fri Mar 30 00:05:21 EST 2001
>
> However, this relyies on ls.so being executable, which it is mainly just
> to let this questionable feature (plus ldd) work. Since objdump is
> better than ldd in most cases anyway, you could remove the x bit on a
> really tight system.

This feature is going to be really useful to make a correct solution to
the problem of using separate versions of libc for boot-time (init) and
run-time (user programs) -- which the BBC does (we have BusyBox libc in
a floppy image and a standard libc available after boot).  We currently
have an incorrect solution, but explicit ld.so invocation will fix that.

That doesn't mean that anybody necessarily needs exec in /lib on a normal
system with only one libc.