[linux-elitists] What is the Elite MTA?

Jeremy McLeod jeremym@loonix.org
Fri Mar 30 11:35:24 PST 2001

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 11:11:03AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
>The point is that qmail takes a great deal more wrangling than similar
>programs to achieve a reasonable state.  I found that to be the case,
>Wayne Earl found that to be the case, and many others have, likewise.

And many others have not.

>And, because of the licensing, qmail may not be distributed in any
>variant, repaired form (without special permission from Dan, which he
>does not grant).  And _none_ of us has any special obligation to
>convince _you_ of any of this.  We simply state what we've observed,
>try to steer clear of the crank replies, and trust that reasonable
>people will get the point.

Wrong. You're not able to distribute _binary_ packages of Dan's software
that vary from the layout and behavior that installing those packages
from pristine source would have.

You are able to distribute source packages containing whatever patches
and scripts to apply those patches and change installation paths you
desire. Please read the relevant documentation before making completely
false (or at least outdated) statements like this.

>> You seem to think qmail is hard.
>
>Wrong.  Configuring it to a reasonable state is _time consuming_.  And
>thus not worth the trouble:  Postfix has all the advantage, and none of
>the disadvantages.  (I happen to run Exim, as my needs are simpler.)

I can have a qmail system completely functional and adherent to whatever
specifications I feel like mandating within an hour. If you consider
that time consuming, then so be it. I, however, do not.

>> What's the point, then?
>
>Apparent to others, I trust, if not to you.

State your point, if you have one.

>> None of these RFCs have reached "Standard" status.
>
>However, they are already functioning as standards.   The SSH RFC is, by
>comparison, still a _draft_, and yet it would be perverse to write
>SSH-protocol software that contravenes it.

SSH is not DNS. The SSH protocol is essential to the operation of ssh
software. NOTIFY, AXFR, IXFR, et al, are not essential to the operation
of the Domain Name System, and never will be. The only things essential
to the operation of the DNS are the root servers, the tld servers,
individual domains' authoritative servers, and caches, and the adherence
of same to standard _DNS_ protocols(not BIND protocols).

--
Jeremy McLeod
jeremym@loonix.org