[linux-elitists] What is the Elite MTA?

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 30 10:04:09 PST 2001

begin  Jeremy McLeod quotation:

> If your definition of "properly" is something different from "it does
> what i tell it to do" then I suppose so.

I suppose that mostly depends on whether you're happy with Dan's
defaults.

> As for the URL, I don't really see anything relevant to this
> discussion....

That is true; you don't.  And I don't propose to start detailing all
that one goes through in trying to bang qmail into what I regard as
reasonable operation.  You might ask Wayne Earl <wayne@qconcepts.net>,
whose post I directed your attention to, as it's possible that he has
more patience.

> I don't see anything about any peculiarities in qmail's operation other
> than its "...trait (in earlier versions) of attempting to cram as much
> SMTP mail as possible..."

That's correct; you don't.  But only because you weren't paying
attention to the rest of the essay.  (That was, of course, cited just as
one of innumerable possible examples of Dan pigheadedly not caring about
getting along with the rest of the world.  His software is sufficiently
infamous for that, that I see no need to trot out a list of them.)

> ...and if you actually read the documentation for qmail, you can
> control that feature(as in turn it on and off).

Of course.  But you are thick-headedly ignoring the point for which
purpose that example was cited.

> For one thing, NOTIFY and AXFR/IXFR are not part of the DNS.

RFCs #1995, 1996, 2146, and 2535 must be a collective delusion shared by
the IETF and me, then.

> That aside, djbdns does indeed support AXFR(see axfrdns:

Oops!  Sorry, typo on my part.  I meant to say it doesn't support
_IXFR_.  (IETF Notify is possible, but only with third-party patches.)

> His reasons for not supporting A6, DNAME, and DNSSEC are documented on
> his website, and are sort of hard to argue with.

Yes, Dan is positively _brimming_ with reasons to ignore the IETF and
ignore its standard.  It's one of the many charms of his software.

rick@linuxmafia.com                           Or denied.  So there.