[linux-elitists] What is the Elite MTA?

Jeremy McLeod jeremym@loonix.org
Fri Mar 30 09:33:26 PST 2001

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 09:17:47AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
>Jeremy McLeod <jeremym@loonix.org> seems to have accidentally omitted
>the list in his follow-up (and failed to remove the list-tag from the
>Subject header), so I've corrected that oversight.
>
>> No offense, of course, but I, as well as many many others, have
>> configured qmail properly for Linux quite a few times without any
>> problems whatsoever.
>
>1.  Good for you.

Thank you.

>2.  It's possible if not likely that your definition of "properly"
>    differs radically from mine.  See also:
>    http://lists.svlug.org/pipermail/svlug/2001-March/007255.html

If your definition of "properly" is something different from "it does
what i tell it to do" then I suppose so.

As for the URL, I don't really see anything relevant to this discussion,
other than another plug for postfix. I can produce links to qmail
packages, as well. Here's one:

http://em.ca/~bruceg/qmail+patches/

>> As for peculiarities in its operation, I'm not certain what you're
>> referrring to.
>
>Correct, you aren't.  Because you didn't bother to follow the provided
>hyperlink.  Once again:  http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#djb

I don't see anything about any peculiarities in qmail's operation other
than its "...trait (in earlier versions) of attempting to cram as much
SMTP mail as possible...", and if you actually read the documentation
for qmail, you can control that feature(as in turn it on and off).

>> Saying DJB's software is peculiar basically means you're stuck in the
>> mindset of whichever MTA or DNS software you prefer to use....
>
>Nope.
>
>Take the trouble to read the cited text (at the URL furnished) before
>speaking in ignorance, please.

Right.

>> ...DJB's software acceptably standards compliant....
>
>Aw, now that's fscking _ridiculous_.  No IETF Notify (without a
>third-party patch), no AXFR, no A6, no DNSSEC, no TSIG, no Dynamic DNS
>-- and that's just djbdns.

For one thing, NOTIFY and AXFR/IXFR are not part of the DNS. They are
transport protocols, and have as little to do with DNS operation
as...an ftp server. They're conveniences, nothing more.

That aside, djbdns does indeed support AXFR(see axfrdns:

http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/axfrdns.html
http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/axfr-get.html

)

His reasons for not supporting A6, DNAME, and DNSSEC are documented on
his website, and are sort of hard to argue with.

http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/killa6.html
http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/forgery.html

--
Jeremy McLeod