[linux-elitists] What is the Elite MTA?

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Fri Mar 30 09:17:47 PST 2001

Jeremy McLeod <jeremym@loonix.org> seems to have accidentally omitted
the list in his follow-up (and failed to remove the list-tag from the
Subject header), so I've corrected that oversight.

> No offense, of course, but I, as well as many many others, have
> configured qmail properly for Linux quite a few times without any
> problems whatsoever.

1.  Good for you.
2.  It's possible if not likely that your definition of "properly"
    differs radically from mine.  See also:
    http://lists.svlug.org/pipermail/svlug/2001-March/007255.html

> As for peculiarities in its operation, I'm not certain what you're
> referrring to.

Correct, you aren't.  Because you didn't bother to follow the provided
hyperlink.  Once again:  http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#djb

> Saying DJB's software is peculiar basically means you're stuck in the
> mindset of whichever MTA or DNS software you prefer to use....

Nope.

Take the trouble to read the cited text (at the URL furnished) before
speaking in ignorance, please.

> ...DJB's software acceptably standards compliant....

Aw, now that's fscking _ridiculous_.  No IETF Notify (without a
third-party patch), no AXFR, no A6, no DNSSEC, no TSIG, no Dynamic DNS
-- and that's just djbdns.

We won't even get into EPLF being the sole output format supported by
Publicfile (and anonftpd before it) in its capacity as an ftp daemon.
See:  http://crackmonkey.org/faq.html#ANSWER23 (off-line at the moment,
because of Northpoint troubles).

rick@linuxmafia.com                           Or denied.  So there.