[linux-elitists] What is the Elite MTA?

Dan Wilder dan@ssc.com
Fri Mar 30 09:15:08 PST 2001

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 08:50:33AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:

> Which is such a real bastard to configure properly for Linux, and so
> downright peculiar in many aspects of its operation, that you're
> way, way, way better off using Postfix, instead, and gain all the
> advantages with none of the DJB-induced bullshit.

To which I'll say amen, bro!

After using MMDF, sendmail, and Smail for some years, with a digression
into Exim after some of the Smail developers bailed and went the
Exim route, I went looking for yet another alternative.

A couple of harrowing evenings (resulting in an installation that
worked just fine, thank you) with qmail were enough to convince
me I wasn't interested.

Then I found Postfix.  Breath of fresh air.  Very clean code.
Simple setups run more or less out of the box.  It'll do almost
as many stupid things to the headers as sendmail will, but not
by default.  It has about ninety other miscellaneous knobs.
None of them are obligatory.  If you don't need them you don't
have to think about them.  Or even know about them.

On SSC's outside MX hosts I build Postfix from scratch,
"make install", then change about three lines and add maybe
six lines (counting a list of hosts we relay for as one line) to the
default config files.  Anti-relaying is on by default, as it should be.

Most reasonable config changes are pretty simple.  For example, to
add RBL filtering, add two lines to main.cf:

maps_rbl_domains = rbl.maps.vix.com
smtpd_client_restrictions = reject_maps_rbl

--
Dan Wilder <dan@ssc.com>