[linux-elitists] mount options frenzy!

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 29 15:09:55 PST 2001

begin  Don Marti Uses GIFs on the Sly quotation:

> Well, it's time for the elitists of the world to go through our fstabs
> and say what we're mounting how, so that I can create the Canonical
> Mount Options Chart to educate those less elite than ourselves.

Here's what I have.  Some of the divisions of filesystems between
physical drives are sub-optimal, for reasons I needn't get into:

/dev/sda2  /            ext2   defaults,errors=remount-ro           0 1
/dev/sdb3  none         swap   sw                                   0 0
proc       /proc        proc   defaults                             0 0
/dev/sda1  /boot        ext2   ro,noauto,nouser,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 2
/dev/sda3  /usr         ext2   ro,nodev                             0 2
/dev/sda4  /usr/local   ext2   defaults                             0 2
/dev/sdb1  /var         ext2   rw,nosuid,nodev                      0 2
/dev/sdb2  /tmp         ext2   rw,nosuid,nodev                      0 2
/dev/sdb4  /home        ext2   rw,nosuid,nodev                      0 2
/dev/fd0   /mnt/floppy  ext2   noauto                               0 0

> And of copious use of noexec?

Hmm.  I'll have to ponder that.

> Here's a start...

> /opt

...is a symlink to /usr/local/opt .

>  /opt/foo should be /usr/lib/foo dammit.

Only object files, libraries, kernel modules, and internal binaries go
in lib directories, dammit.

> /tmp   nodev,noexec,nosuid,noatime
                             ^^^^^^^
> /var   nodev,nosuid,noatime