[linux-elitists] California-proof motherboard

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Wed Mar 28 09:59:40 PST 2001

Brooklyn Linux Solutions CEO writes:

> Which one of these will encrypt all my data  on the fly
> so that when IBM installs spyware on my computer, it
> won't be able to identify it?

I think that most DRM doesn't affect or examine non-DRM-tagged data;
when something is "in" DRM it will be encrypted and only trusted
software or trusted hardware is supposed to decrypt it.  When
something is "not in" DRM, regular old software like free software can
manipulate it.

There are exceptions to this, like Digital Integrity's products, but
at least they don't make any attempt to control your computer.

On the other hand, the bad consequences of DRM include a strong
incentive to install proprietary software if you want to be able to
view lots of media (think RealPlayer but much worse).  And that
proprietary software could definitely try to do other things to you
than just play media when you ask it to.