[linux-elitists] California-proof motherboard

Marc MERLIN marc@merlins.org
Tue Mar 27 22:07:00 PST 2001

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 05:09:31PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> What I'm hearing is:  reiserfs is going to be good in the long run, and
> you may want to judge how stable it is this week, to decide if you want
> to use it.[1]  ext3 is said to be less reliable, but you have the safety
> net of remounting the filesystem as ext2, blowing away the journal, and
> starting over.

I disagree.  ext3 is very  reliable and Steven  Tweedy is an  extremely anal
coder. The only  thing with ext3 is  that if it  hits a case that  he didn't
account for, it will panic, instead  of potentially doing bad things to your
FS.

I've used ext3 since november of 1999 on VA's servers and had a few crashed
with old version of the code, but never lost a byte, ever.
(this  includes  severs that  repeatetly  crashed  due to  various  hardware
problems)

Marc