[linux-elitists] Open-sourcing a book

Jeff Waugh jdub@aphid.net
Fri Mar 23 08:28:50 PST 2001

<quote who="Jonathan Corbet">

> - make a big errata/patch file for the third edition?
>
> - keep the online version current (probably rewriting the "patches" to
>   fit the rest of the work), quickly obsoleting the printed version?
>
> - call the printed version perfect and forward the patches to /dev/null?

- instate a bug tracking system for all of <insert your publisher here>'s
  titles, and make the Free buglist/errata publically accessible.

*That* would make my day. :)

You may want to ask Norm Walsh for the results of his DocBook book. He keeps
an updated online version, too (which is a very good idea, what's the point
in Free documentation if it's not being improved?)

For owners of the meatspace version, an errata matching what's been changed
in the online version would probably be ideal. Highlights on the web pages
for "this section updated from print edition blah".

Of course, once you make the changes, you can auto-generate your errata
information. Best of both worlds. :)

Personal experience: I bought the meatspace DocBook book *because* of the
website book. Love those tactile pages in the real one, but I love the
updated info / on the website (and the fact that I can set up the pages
locally and index /searchify them the way I prefer).

Beware: There are readers out there who will use your BTS for EVIL! "In
chapter five you say that Perl wouldn't be appropriate for blah-gnobbly-
nigle-schloop, but I think it is and here is my example with three
paragraphs of description."

Hold on, maybe you can use that in the next edition. :)

- Jeff

-- jdub@aphid.net ----------------------------- http://lazarus.aphid.net/ --

     "Everyone says they like Free Software - not everyone is ready to
make the tough choices to make it happen." - Maciej Stachowiak, GNOME Hacker