[linux-elitists] Open-sourcing a book

Thu Mar 22 18:28:48 PST 2001

on Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 04:49:33PM -0800, Rick Moen (rick@linuxmafia.com) wrote:
> begin  Don Marti Uses GIFs on the Sly quotation:
>
> > Before anyone goes submitting BRCL to OSI or anything, I'm concerned
> > about an author's ability to disclaim implied warranties in a
> > BRCL-licensed work.
>
> Are we litigious enough, already, that we need to disclaim warranties
> even on documentation and essays?  Or is that next year?

Cf:  _The Anarchist's Cookbook_ (not sure if that's got a disclaimer or
net) or _Final Exit_, a euthenasia DIY manual for the terminally ill.
Hell, with shooting in the news again today, do I need to remind anyone
that rock music's been dragged into teen (and non-teen) behavior of
antisocial nature for any number of decades?  Look also at texts such as
the "Firewall Piercing HOWTO".

Need to and "advised to by our legal counsel" are different beasts, but
textual disclaimers are somewhat commonplace.

As always, IANAL.