[linux-elitists] California-proof motherboard

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Thu Mar 22 17:44:45 PST 2001

> Attention Linux elitists, hardware division:
>
> I'm looking for a decent server motherboard, preferably low-cost, one
> AMD CPU, that will reliably power back up when the UPS brings the power
> back up after a rolling blackout. (My current Athlon board doesn't do
> this so will be devoted to desktop stuff only. And I'd really prefer
> not to buy any more Intel stuff.) Also, what UPS are people using? I'm
> getting a bigger one and putting this one in charge of the answering
> machine and DSL box.
>
> I know, I should move everything to low-power ARM CPUs and solar panels,
> you don't have to say it.

Consider a laptop.  Some have 5 to 10 hours battery life ;P  You might
even be able to abuse a StrongARM based winCE box to do your bidding,
just depends what you want to do...

* Heather * Not all who own a harp are harpers.  -- Marcus Terentius Varro