[linux-elitists] California-proof motherboard

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 22 17:39:47 PST 2001

begin  Don Marti Uses GIFs on the Sly quotation:

> And as long as we're talking UPSs, which one are you using?

I'm so lame!  No UPS, yet.  Maybe after I've recovered from paying for
the car.  (I'm still a fan of Best Power's UPSes.)

> Mounting /usr read-only is a huge win, for those of you who aren't ready
> to go to a journaling fs.

Well, of course I do that.  But I'm concerned about fsck times for
machines that have large filesystems.  The machine I'm soon going to
rebuild has 41 GB of... um, productivity files, in an 82 GB RAID array.
e2fsck takes about six hours, after a power loss.  (Unfortunately, no
UPS for that box, either.)

rick@linuxmafia.com                           Or denied.  So there.