[linux-elitists] California-proof motherboard

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Thu Mar 22 17:29:49 PST 2001

begin  Rick Moen quotation of Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 05:09:31PM -0800:

> I'm also a little concerned about the software end of things.
> Specifically, fsck times.  There's a machine I'm about to rebuild,
> following the most-recent rolling-blackout follies, and am vacillating
> between ext3 and reiserfs for the larger filesystems.

Hmmm. Can you tweak your UPS not to reapply power until it has
sufficient charge for a worst-case boot and shutdown? And as long as
we're talking UPSs, which one are you using?

Mounting /usr read-only is a huge win, for those of you who aren't ready
to go to a journaling fs.