[linux-elitists] California-proof motherboard

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 22 17:09:31 PST 2001

begin  Don Marti Uses GIFs on the Sly quotation:

> I'm looking for a decent server motherboard, preferably low-cost, one
> AMD CPU, that will reliably power back up when the UPS brings the power
> back up after a rolling blackout.

Heh.  My K6/233 in an old AT tower case w/Turbocool wins, I guess.

I'm also a little concerned about the software end of things.
Specifically, fsck times.  There's a machine I'm about to rebuild,
following the most-recent rolling-blackout follies, and am vacillating
between ext3 and reiserfs for the larger filesystems.

What I'm hearing is:  reiserfs is going to be good in the long run, and
you may want to judge how stable it is this week, to decide if you want
to use it.[1]  ext3 is said to be less reliable, but you have the safety
net of remounting the filesystem as ext2, blowing away the journal, and
starting over.

Anyone have relevant experience, or further thoughts?

[1] Yes, Reiser also incompatibly changed the format once, earlier.  No,
I don't call this a real problem, in present context.

--
Cheers,                                Before enlightenment, caffeine.
Rick Moen                              After enlightenment, caffeine.