[linux-elitists] Open-sourcing a book

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Thu Mar 22 16:55:40 PST 2001

Rick Moen writes:

> begin  Don Marti Uses GIFs on the Sly quotation:
>
> > Before anyone goes submitting BRCL to OSI or anything, I'm concerned
> > about an author's ability to disclaim implied warranties in a
> > BRCL-licensed work.
>
> Are we litigious enough, already, that we need to disclaim warranties
> even on documentation and essays?  Or is that next year?

It's happened -- take a look at a current electronics textbook!

Schneier's _Applied Cryptography_ and Horowitz and Hill's _Art of
Electronics_ both have rather severe disclaimers right near the
beginning.

I think a home-repair manual my mom had from the early 1980s had a
disclaimer of warranty in the beginning too.