[linux-elitists] Open-sourcing a book

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Thu Mar 22 16:17:41 PST 2001

Aaron, sorry.  I clearly need my _own_ double espresso.  You said a
related _page_.  OK, I just went and got one.  (Ahhh!)

Here's what I was thinking about that:  As I said, they're living
documents.  I find things wrong with them and fix them, find new excuses
by DJB-acolytes for his licensing, etc.  What a once said is not
necessarily my current views, at all.

Further, some parts of the document make sense only in relation to other
(usually adjoining) parts.  A page that reproduced
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/virus without
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/virus2 would convey the impression that
I have not considered Simson Garfinkel's much-quoted pronouncement on
the subject, which I have.

If the other party mirrors the _entire_ page, then my views on it as of
a certain date will be conveyed in context, _and_ will link back to the
most-recent copy's URL.

As a social matter, people understand that _brief_ quotations
(automatically permitted as fair use) will probably lack context and may
not be current.

--
Cheers,                                Before enlightenment, caffeine.
Rick Moen                              After enlightenment, caffeine.