[linux-elitists] Open-sourcing a book

Aaron Lehmann aaronl@vitelus.com
Thu Mar 22 15:05:45 PST 2001

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 12:59:58PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
>     Copyright (C) [date] by Rick Moen. Verbatim copying,
>     distribution, and display of this entire article are permitted in
>     any medium, provided this notice is preserved.  Alternatively, you
>     may create derivative works of any sort for any purpose, provided
>     they contain no attribution to me.  (Thus, they must differ from
>     this work, if only in omitting my name.)

I don't like this, because it prevents people from quoting you. I was
thinking recently about what the legal implications would be if someone
wanted to quote your rants page (say, about internal modems) as a brief
testimony on a related page. Saying "Rick Moen says this about internal
modems:" would not be permissible, since the page quoting you is
arguably a derivative work of your text. I'm not sure why attributions
should be prohibuted.

Of course, as the copyright holder it is at your discression. (Unless
we consider fair use, which a smaller quote may fall under.)