[linux-elitists] California-proof motherboard

Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Thu Mar 22 14:06:17 PST 2001

Don Marti wrote:

> I know, I should move everything to low-power ARM CPUs and solar panels,
> you don't have to say it.

What does it serve? I'm eyeing LinuxBIOS supported motherboards for
some weeks now, some of the stuff boots up to user prompt within
3 sec (of course, EIDE init will bring that back to 10-15 s, or so).
Some assembly required, as you have to hot-plug the Millenium DoC
(no hardware vendor ships motherboards with a kernel in DoC (or
even a BIOS in DoC, for that matter)).

I've been actually thinking about using unbuffered solar panels
to power a LinuxBIOS ConsumeNet node (an 802.11 neighbourhood
thingy). The ultimate galvanic decoupling to network and power
grid: an air gap of some 100 m.